Amplifying people I trust on COVID-19 · Simply Statistics
Like lots of people, I’ve been glued to varied media channels making an attempt to be taught concerning the newest with what’s going on with COVID-19. I’ve additionally been pissed off – like lots of people – with misinformation and the deluge of preprints and peer reviewed materials. A few of this data is critically essential and a few is tough to belief.
As a biostatistician at a really seen faculty of public well being I’ve additionally had numerous media outreaches, however I’ve been hesitant to do any interviews or speak about COVID-19. The reason being that even thought I’ve a PhD in Biostatistics and I work in a College of Public Well being I really know little or no about infectious illness modeling and response. I feel should you aren’t actually deep within the subject, its tough to know the distinction between somebody like me and somebody with actual experience.
Whereas I’m not an professional within the space, I do know most of the actual consultants professionally or by fame. So I assumed I’d make a quick listing of individuals and organizations I discover credible and have been following for good data in case it’s useful to others. Many of those people have already been discovered by audiences a lot larger than ours however I simply thought it could be helpful to amplify additional their work.
Infectious illness modeling
- Trevor Bedford – Fred Hutchinson Most cancers Analysis heart professional in phylogenetic modeling of infectious illness, his viz work and sober evaluation is one in all my go-tos.
- Justin Lessler – infectious illness professor and epidemiologist at Hopkins who did a number of the earliest research of contact tracing in China.
- Kate Grabowski – infectious illness professor and epidemiologist at Hopkins
- Nicholas Reich – UMass professional in infectious illness modeling, doing an ideal job of aggregating and evaluating illness fashions.
- Natalie Dean – College of Florida professional statistician in vaccine medical trials – additionally one in all my favourite pragmatic reviewers of huge papers.
- Derek Lowe – drug discovery chemist and blogger who is among the greatest on the market at distilling progress on vaccines.
Scicom and public outreach
- Ellie Murray – Boston College professional epidemiologist professor and communicator, offering clear comprehensible breakdowns of the perfect practices.
- Lucy D’Agostino McGowan – Vanderbilt statistics professor and communicator who does a tremendous job of breaking down tough stats and causal inference points.
- Carl Bergstrom – UW Biology Professor and infectious illness professional, offering sober opinions and interactions round most of the papers popping out.
- Tom Ingelsby – Professor and director of Johns Hopkins Heart for Well being Safety has been producing stable evaluation and coverage suggestions on when to re-open.
- Caitlin Rivers – Professor on the Hopkins Heart for Well being Safety, outbreak specialist, additionally producing stable evaluation and coverage suggestions.
- Andy Slavitt – Ex-Obama well being care head and offering stable coverage opinions and concepts.
- Josh Sharfstein – Professor of the Apply at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being, has an ideal public well being podcast with a lot of consultants on it.
- Keshia Pollack-Porter – Professor of Well being Coverage and Administration at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being who has an ideal tackle mobility points related to Covid-19.
- Lisa Cooper – Bloomberg Professor on the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being who has nice content material on inequality of affect.
I’m certain I’ve missed nice individuals to say as I’ve dashed this off fairly shortly so apologies if I missed you!