The Simpsons is the Best TV show to Increase English Vocabulary | by Frank Andrade | Oct, 2020
Before you begin questioning why the phrases on the left don’t appear so tough, you should know that they are truly the commonest phrases from stage four and above in all Simpsons episodes. That is, the phrases in the first wordcloud are the best inside stage four and above. In distinction, the ones on the proper are the least widespread superior phrases repeated at the least 10 occasions.
Whether you’re a newbie, intermediate or advance English learner, you would possibly’ve felt pissed off at the least as soon as in your life since you didn’t perceive a joke your favourite character instructed. I’ve excellent news for you; I ranked all Simpsons episodes by problem as I did in The Best 100 Movies to Learn English. The episodes furthest to the proper cowl extra fundamental (Lvl 1) or intermediate (Lvl 1+2+3) vocabulary. The increased the protection, the simpler to perceive a Simpsons episode.
Hover on the dots in the plot to discover what’s the subsequent Simpsons episode you’re going to watch!
I discovered that the episode Secrets of A Successful Marriage (Season 5-Episode 22) covers the highest share of stage 1 vocabulary, which signifies that this episode is most likely the one you’d perceive dialogues simply. However, you’d most likely have a tough time making an attempt to perceive the jokes from the episodes furthest to the left like Redneck and Broomsticks (Season 21-Episode 7) and Sideshow Bob’s Last Gleaming (Season 7-Episode 9).
These are the prime 10 episodes from The Simpsons with the best English vocabulary:
- S5E22: Secrets of a Successful Marriage
- S9E7: The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons
- S1E6: Moaning Lisa
- S15E20: The Way We Weren’t
- S22E5: Lisa Simpson, This Isn’t Your Life
- S8E19: Grade School Confidential
- S5E12: Bart Gets Famous
- S9E16: Dumbbell Indemnity
- S1E9: Life on the Fast Lane
- S4E14: Brother From the Same Planet
If I satisfied you of the potential for growing your English vocabulary with The Simpsons, then you must think about checking the following desk each time you watch a brand new episode. Before watching a Simpsons episode, you will discover out which tough phrases you’ll hear by looking out in the field under. You can filter by phrase, episode or season.
Look up the definition of any phrase you discover tough earlier than you watch a brand new episode and also you’d enhance the probabilities of understanding jokes subsequent time you watch The Simpsons!
Naturally, Homer, Marge, Bart and Lisa Simpson have extra traces than the remainder of the characters — that’s why the show is known as The Simpsons, proper? However, none of the 4 foremost characters use complicated sentences of their traces. Actually, the characters with much less screentime corresponding to Burns, Skinner, Krusty and Flanders are the ones who have a tendency to use extra superior vocabulary. Are they the smartest characters for you?
The common.variety of spoken phrases in a Simpsons episode is 2,472 phrases. Most of the vocabulary utilized in Simpsons dialogues belong to the commonest 1000 English phrases. This occurs with most TV reveals; then it’s simple to purchase stage 1 and stage 2 vocabulary for non-native English audio system by watching TV reveals. However, most TV reveals have a bit superior vocabulary in a single episode. Fortunately, just a few TV reveals like The Simpsons have many phrases repeated at the least 10 occasions all through all episodes, which helps construct superior vocabulary.
Finally, just a few observations about the transcripts and the vocabulary ranges:
- The transcripts of the 83 TV reveals have been obtained from totally different web sites the place followers transcribe dialogues. To discover character traces in The Simpsons, I used a dataset accessible on Kaggle.
- Words that couldn’t be heard in Simpsons episodes, like scene descriptions and audio system’ names, have been faraway from the transcripts.
- Most of the wordlist I used to classify vocabulary in TV reveals have been produced from corpus by Paul Nation. You can obtain a few of the lists right here.
- Previous research utilizing these wordlists have proven that the lists are dependable; nonetheless, I discovered just a few weak factors by analyzing The Simpsons episodes. For instance, some verbs like ‘to hoover’ are thought of in the lists from stage four and above; consequently, characters’ names like Miss Hoover have been thought of superior phrases. However, this doesn’t typically occur as a result of there is additionally an inventory of correct names that helped me filter most characters’ names out.
- Most interjections are excluded from the ‘marginal words’ checklist. However, just a few of them like ‘whoa’ and ‘aye’ is thought of in stage four and above. Words that will appear widespread for most individuals like ‘awesome’ are additionally included. This has to do with the texts inside the corpus.
If you’d like to see the code behind this evaluation, you will discover it right here. Remember that vocabulary is not the solely think about acquiring a great understanding of TV reveals. Pronunciation, accent and speech tempo would possibly enhance or lower your stage of comprehension as properly.
I’ve to admit that I’m not a giant Simpsons fan, however after discovering the advantages this TV reveals supply, I’ll think about watching it at any time when I’ve free time! What episode ought to I begin watching?