The Best Blogging Platforms for Developers in 2021
There are many platforms and software program options you need to use for your weblog. But the query is which one is probably the most acceptable for your wants.
After making an attempt a plethora of choices for my weblog, I wish to reply the query and assist you select the most suitable choice for your weblog.
While studying the article, don’t forget that it is formed by my experiences and preferences. Nevertheless, I’m going to be as goal as potential.
Without additional ado, let’s have a look at that are one of the best running a blog platforms for your developer weblog.
freeCodeCamp is without doubt one of the finest selections if you happen to simply need lots of people to learn your writing. They run their publication much like a conventional educational journal.
One profit is you do not have to fret about constructing or sustaining your individual weblog.
Another huge profit is that you do not have to fret about selling your articles, both. freeCodeCamp has an unlimited base of readers, which you’ll be able to attain if you happen to publish articles there. They promote the articles from their authors all through their community, so you do not weblog into the void.
On the flip facet, since freeCodeCamp spends plenty of time modifying the articles and publicizing them, and in return they ask that you do not republish these articles on different platforms.
Besides that, it’s a must to apply to jot down for them. You must have already got some examples of your writing to submit while you apply.
Here’s a breakdown of a number of the execs and cons of publishing on freeCodeCamp.
- You haven’t got to fret about constructing and sustaining the weblog.
- You do not weblog into the void. freeCodeCamp has a substantial following.
- They have an editorial crew that green-lights your individual article concepts or helps you provide you with article concepts, and edits your articles.
- freeCodeCamp does not need you to cross-post articles that they’ve helped you edit, publish, and publicize.
- You have to use to turn into an creator, and even then they reject plenty of article concepts.
I just lately found Hashnode, and since then it is the primary platform I exploit for my weblog. That doesn’t suggest it is one of the best. It signifies that it satisfies all my wants and necessities.
Hashnode is a platform that permits you to create a weblog and write articles, like all the opposite platforms in this text.
One of the primary variations is that Hashnode allows you to map your customized area. That means, as an alternative of getting
username.bloggingplatform.com, you’ll be able to have a site like
This makes your weblog look extra skilled, and it is also simpler for the readers to recollect your weblog handle.
Another vital profit is that you just’re not tied into the platform. You can simply obtain all of your posts, or export them to GitHub. That means you’ll be able to at all times depart with out an excessive amount of problem.
To put issues into perspective, after I switched from WordPress to Hashnode, I misplaced most of my articles. Thus, it’s essential to have the ability to simply export your articles.
Lastly, you’ll be able to customise and personalise your weblog. You may be conscious that running a blog platforms have just one design which is utilized by everybody. However, with Hashnode, everybody can customise their weblog with customized CSS, so their weblog has a novel appear and feel.
However, you continue to haven’t got full management over your weblog. If you are not constructing your weblog from the bottom up, you will at all times rely on another person.
For occasion, in order for you a characteristic, it’s a must to suggest it and wait till it is carried out. Even although the options are often carried out shortly, you continue to have to attend and haven’t any management over them.
Also, you aren’t in a position to take away or modify core Hashnode options. For occasion, you can’t take away the “Sign In” button out of your weblog web page. However, total it is a wonderful platform for running a blog.
Thus, let’s have a look at the professionals and cons of utilizing Hashnode.
- It provides you the likelihood to backup all of your posts.
- You are half of a big group.
- You can customise and personalise your weblog.
- You have to simply accept and observe the Terms of Service.
- You’re nonetheless utilizing another person’s platform.
You can learn extra about Hashnode in this text.
Hacker Noon is an expert platform that has over 12,000 builders actively writing & studying tales. And the platform isn’t restricted solely to builders. You can even discover articles from builders, founders, makers, and hackers. Thus, there’s a variety of matters you’ll be able to write about.
The key advantage of Hacker Noon is that they’ve an modifying crew that checks the articles. That means folks can not submit no matter they need on the platform.
On the identical observe, the standard of the articles is increased since they’re checked manually by editors. How does that profit you? You profit by having somebody modifying your articles and offering suggestions. Receiving suggestions helps you establish gaps in your information, and it allows you to fill these gaps.
Besides that, Hacker Noon has a social media group with over 500okay folks. That means you’ll be able to attain a lot of folks once they share your article. Besides that, you construct your picture as properly. Your creator info is displayed twice in the article, alongside your social media hyperlinks too. Thus, you attain a broad viewers and promote your self additionally.
On the flip facet, you aren’t in a position to map your customized area. That means Google and different search engines like google and yahoo index Hacker Noon’s URLs as an alternative of your individual. Thus, authors are giving freely potential Google site visitors.
Lastly, all blogs look the identical. You aren’t in a position to change your weblog design.
However, total, Hacker Noon is a incredible platform for running a blog. I plan to make use of it to cross-post a few of my articles.
- They have an modifying crew that checks your articles. You can then enhance them primarily based on the suggestions you obtain.
- They have a social media group with over 500okay folks. As a end result, you’ll be able to attain a broad viewers.
- Authors are giving freely potential Google site visitors as a result of search engines like google and yahoo index the Hacker Noon URL.
- No means to make use of your customized area.
- Inability to customize and personalise your weblog.
Dev To is one other wonderful platform for running a blog, that sky-rocketed when Medium launched a paywall characteristic. I’ve used the platform since I began running a blog severely, which was the start of this 12 months.
One of the primary advantages of running a blog on Dev To is that you’re a part of an immense group. People can observe one another and get notified once they submit a brand new article. Is this totally different from different running a blog platforms? No. The distinction is the excessive variety of folks utilizing the platform. Thus, it is simpler to achieve readers.
Another plus is that they share (some) articles on their social media accounts. For occasion, they’ve 214Okay followers solely on Twitter. That means you’ve got extra possibilities to achieve an enormous viewers in the event that they share your article.
Moreover, much like Medium, there are publications or organisations. For occasion, as an instance I’ve the corporate “Catalin’s Software”. Thus, I can create an organisation on Dev To, and folks can write for it. That means you get higher visibility and attain. The motive is that each those who observe you, and those that observe the organisation, get notified when a submit is printed.
On the opposite hand, like Hacker Noon, the most important downside is that you just’re tied into the platform. That means you can’t simply export your articles, and due to this fact transfer on one other platform.
Another draw back is that you just can not have your individual area. That means your weblog URL is underneath the type of dev.to/your_name.
Lastly, you can’t customise and personalise your weblog. As a end result, all blogs have the identical design and really feel.
Overall, Dev To is an efficient platform to make use of for running a blog. However, if you wish to have an expert weblog, I feel having your area and a customized theme is crucial.
Let’s see the professionals and cons of the platform:
- They have an immense group which you’ll be able to be a part of it. As a end result, it is simpler to achieve folks and keep away from running a blog into the void.
- You can turn into a part of publications or organisations, which suggests you’ll be able to attain extra folks.
- They share the articles on their social media accounts the place they’ve a lot of followers.
- Not a straightforward solution to export your articles or to maneuver to a different platform.
- You can not customise and personalise your weblog. All blogs look the identical.
- You can not map your area. You have a generic URL.
These are the primary platforms I take pleasure in and advocate for running a blog. You can use certainly one of them, all of them, or solely a few of them.
If you ask me what I do, and what it is best to do, I’d advise you to:
- Open a weblog on Hashnode, as a result of you’ll be able to have a private area and you’ll personalise it. As a end result, your weblog is extra skilled.
- Then cross-post to Hacker Noon or Dev To.
- Once you’ve got extra apply writing, and a portfolio of articles, think about making use of to turn into an creator on freeCodeCamp.
Thanks for studying. If you want what I write, the probabilities are you’ll love what I e mail. Consider subscribing to my mailing listing. If you are not a fan of newsletters, we are able to at all times maintain in contact on Twitter.